International Cat Day 2023: Every year, August 6 is considered International Cat Day globally. The day promotes cat adoption and recognizes the friendships that cats bring.
Twinkle Updated: Aug 8, 2023 09:37 IST
Interesting facts about cats
International Cat Day 2023: International Cat Day is celebrated on August 8 worldwide. This day was started by the International Animal Welfare Foundation in 2002. It aims to improve the health and well-being of pet cats.
This article will help you learn about some amazing facts regarding cats. Take a look below:
International Cat Day 2023: 21 Interesting Facts About Cats
- According to popular Jewish folklore, God created a pair of cats after a lion’s sneeze. Noah himself prayed for help protecting the food supply from rodents.
- The cat couldn’t raise its head before coming down from the tree. They like to go downwards, towards their claws.
- The popularity of cats can be easily understood from the difference in the number of dog and cat owners. So there are only about 88 million domestic cats and 75 million pet dogs in the United States alone.
- Due to an abnormal gene mutation that affects taste receptors, cats cannot perceive sweetness.
- The Japanese people believe that cats are temporary resting places for people with power and spirituality.
- Europe introduced cats to the Americas as a form of pest control in the 1750s.
- Blackie is famous as the richest cat in the world. According to Guinness World Records, he was left with a fortune of $12.5 million by owner Ben Rea.
- Cats have been man’s best companion since 3600 BC, more than 2,000 years before the ancient Egyptians.
- And the Egyptian Mau is one of the oldest cat breeds.
- The oldest cat video with the content ‘Cat Boxing’ dates back to 1894.
- Compared to humans, cats have 53 loosely articulated vertebrae, making them super flexible.
- Cats can drink seawater! Their kidneys are capable of filtering salt out of water, something humans cannot do.
- Cats can make more than 100 different sounds.
- A cat’s tongue has 473 taste buds!
- Stubbs, an orange tabby cat, served as the mayor of the small Alaskan town of Talkeetna for 20 years.
- Stewie, a Maine Coon, holds the record as the world’s longest cat at 48.5 inches.
- Arcturus holds the title as the tallest cat with a staggering height of 19.05 inches.
- Felicette, commonly known as “Astrocat”, was the first and only cat to travel into space on October 18, 1963.
- Creme Puff, born August 3, 1967, is the oldest cat ever. After 38 years and 3 days of spreading love, he passed away on August 6, 2005.
- Cats can jump six times higher than them.
- A cat’s nose is made up of a special pattern of ridges that are very similar to the individual ridges on a human finger.
Happy International Cat Day to all cat lovers!
International Cat Day 2023: Quotes, wishes and messages to share on August 8
Important dates and dates in August 2023